Saturday 1 March 2014

Another Storm Casualty?


I walked the dog along the beach to Sandy Bay this afternoon and came across this shag tucked in under the cliff below Orcombe Point. I was able to get pretty close, which is a sure sign the bird is in a bad way. Whether or not it's due to the bad weather, that has caused the death of thousands of auks, I'm not sure as I've not heard of any other shag casualties. The bird was on a ledge so there was no way I was going to try and catch it. It did however give me an opportunity for some photographs - beautiful bird!





Good numbers of kittiwakes are back on the ledges of Straight Point. I counted at least fifty this afternoon but there appeared to be quite a few birds a little further out to sea.



Carrion crow

No comments:

Post a Comment